Cable car

Cable car

History of the cable car

On the Belluno Province side of Marmolada, a modern cable car allows people to go up, in just 12 minutes, from Malga Ciapela (1450 m) to Punta Rocca station (3265 m), located exactly in front of Punta Penia, Dolomites highest peak (3343 m), passing through the intermediary stations of Coston d’Antermoja (2350 m) and Serauta (2950 m).

Planning of the intrepid and futuristic cable car, which should have a carrying capacity of 400 people per hour.

1963 - 1965

Costruzione dell’impianto fino a Serauta (1st day of opening: 8 December 1967).

1965 - 1967

Conclusion of the works to the third section of the cable car toward Punta Rocca.

1970

Construction of skilifts and chairlifts.

1971 - 1974

Visit of S.S. Pope John Paul II and consecration of the statue of the Holy Mary “Queen of the Dolomites” into Punta Rocca cave, realised by the Alpini of Cadore Brigade.

1979

Connection with Sella Ronda Skitour and partnership with Dolomiti Superski.

1982

Development of the three sections of the cable car Malga Ciapela – Punta Rocca with a new carrying capacity of ca. 1.000 people per hour.

2004 - 2005

Construction of the new panorama terrace on Punta Rocca roof – 3265 m, Dolomites highest terrace.

2010

Renovation of “Serauta” self-service restaurant in the same-named station.

2011

Renovation of “Bar Funivia” in Malga Ciapela, nearby the departures station of the cable car.

2014

Opening of the new museum of the Great War, Museo Marmolada Grande Guerra 3000 m, constructed in Serauta station. It was expanded and completely renewed, substituting the former museum and becoming Europe highest museum.

2015

Renewal of the Punta Rocca station with two new lifts, Rocca and Penia, and a photographic exhibition to celebrate the first 50 years of operation of the cable car.

2017-2018

Subscribe to the newsletter