History of the cable car
On the Belluno Province side of Marmolada, a modern cable car allows people to go up, in just 12 minutes, from Malga Ciapela (1450 m) to Punta Rocca station (3265 m), located exactly in front of Punta Penia, Dolomites highest peak (3342 m), passing through the intermediary stations of Coston d’Antermoja (2350 m) and Serauta (2950 m).
1963-1965: planning of the intrepid and futuristic cable car, which should have a carrying capacity of 400 people per hour;
1965-1969: construction of the cable car up to Serauta, innovative for that period;
1970: conclusion of the works to the third section of the cable car toward Punta Rocca;
1971-1974: construction of skilifts and chairlifts;
1979: visit of S.S. Pope John Paul II and consecration of the statue of the Holy Mary “Queen of the Dolomites” into Punta Rocca cave, realised by the Alpini of Cadore Brigade;
1982: connection with Sella Ronda Skitour and partnership with Dolomiti Superski;
2002: agreement about the last-longing controversies between Trento and Belluno about the assignment of the property of the glacier. This is now under the jurisdiction of Trento Province, while the rock crown, where the cable car was built, is under the jurisdiction of Belluno Province;
2004-2005: Development of the three sections of the cable car Malga Ciapela – Punta Rocca with a new carrying capacity of ca. 1.000 people per hour;
2010: construction of the new panorama terrace on Punta Rocca roof – 3265 m, Dolomites highest terrace;
2011: renovation of “Serauta” self-service restaurant in the same-named station;
2014: renovation of “Bar Funivia” in Malga Ciapela, nearby the departures station of the cable car;
2015: opening of the new museum of the Great War, Museo Marmolada Grande Guerra 3000 m, constructed in Serauta station. It was expanded and completely renewed, substituting the former museum and becoming Europe highest museum.